I have not seen any information to explain or support the allegations that you state, so I’m going to skip ahead to the last sentence, which is your question. Our supportive position is based on the scientific evidence of the safety and benefits of GM crops. I would encourage you to read the following reports from well-respected international organizations for details on both the safety and the benefits:
- From 2001 to 2010, the European Commission funded more than 50 studies in Europe alone, at a cost of >200 million euros and performed by more than 400 research groups. These studies are summarized in "A Decade of EU-Funded GMO Research."
- A list of organizations from around the world that have found that genetically modified crops are as safe as their conventional counterparts is available here.
- Information from the FDA regarding the health and safety of food derived from genetic engineering is available here.
- You may also be interested in the information from Sense About Science, an independent trust in the UK that works with over 5,000 scientists to help the public make sense of claims about scientific evidence, available here.
- Los Angeles Times: “Genetically modified cotton helps farmers escape malnutrition.”
- Guardian: “GM crops can benefit farmers.”
- CropLife: “GM crops: global socio-economic and environmental impacts 1996-2011."
- Additional information is available in our Future of Agriculture section.