Line 4Line 4 Copyic/close/grey600play_circle_outline - material

African farmers earned about US$282 million from GMOs in 2020

African farmers earned an estimated US$282 million from growing genetically modified crops in 2020, a new study has revealed.

The study published by PG Economics in the UK revealed that farmers across the globe earned an estimated $18.8 billion in additional benefits from growing GM crops.

1.5% of that income (US$282 million) went to farmers in Africa, while farmers growing GM crops in the USA, Argentina, India, China, and Brazil accounted for 39.1%, 15.1%, 8.1%, 8.4%, and 18.3%, respectively.

According to the study by Dr. Graham Brookes, 55% of the farm income benefits in 2020 were earned by developing country farmers, with the remaining 45% going to farmers in developed countries.

Read more of this blog post at the Alliance for Science and make sure to read to original study for full details.