Who answers my question?
GMO Answers is committed to finding the best expert to answer your question. Depending on the nature of your question, the answer may be provided by an independent expert, industry organization, the GMO Answers Community Manager or an expert from a member company. Experts are not paid to write answers – they volunteer to respond to consumer questions submitted to GMO Answers. The expert may be available immediately, or it may take several weeks to provide a response. In some cases, a question is so unique that a new expert must be identified and contacted to specifically address your question.
For more information, visit our experts page.
How long will it take for my question to be answered?
We do our best to provide a response in a timely fashion, but sometimes this process takes time. We ask for your patience as our team identifies the best expert to respond. We’ll let you know via email once the answer is posted.
Are the expert answers edited?
Once the independent expert provides an answer, it is fact checked and reviewed for basic grammar. GMO Answers encourages experts to write responses in "laymen’s terms," using language and terms the average person can understand. If the response provided is too technical or if there is a question about a complex scientific fact or research source, GMO Answers will work with the expert to revise the response so it is easier for the average reader to understand. Once the expert provides the final answer to GMO Answers, it is proofed for punctuation and grammar, but the content is not changed or edited by GMO Answers.
How is this discussion moderated?
Every registered user is allowed to publish questions and comments directly onto the GMO Answers website. In an effort to keep the discussion free-flowing, we minimally filter the questions and comments before they go live. Questions and comments that do not follow the House Rules may be subject to moderation. Additionally, we rely on community members to flag anything that is offensive or inappropriate. You can report any content or behavior that you feel is inappropriate by clicking on the “Flag” button that appears alongside all questions and comments. This sends a message to our moderators, who will then investigate the issue further. For questions regarding site moderation or any technical difficulties, please contact us.
House Rule 1: Help us keep the ASK forum a safe and happy place.
Post content and commentary that are both relevant and respectful to this community as a whole. People of all ages and backgrounds are part of this community.
While we’re excited to hear from everyone, it is important to keep the following guidelines in mind whenever you participate. We do reserve the right to remove any posts that don’t adhere to the guidelines and to block anyone who violates them repeatedly. We also cannot engage around active court cases, meaning the specifics of litigation.
There are some kinds of posts that we just don’t tolerate, like:
- Abusive, harassing, stalking, threatening or attacking others
- Fraudulent, deceptive, misleading or unlawful
- Violations of any intellectual property right
- Defamatory, offensive, obscene, vulgar or depicting violence
- Hateful language targeting race/ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, nationality or political beliefs
- Contain profanity
- Spamming in nature
- Trolling or deliberate disruption of discussion
- Uploading or attaching files that contain viruses, corrupted files or any other, similar software or programs that may damage the operation of another’s compute
- Link baiting (embedding a link in your post to draw traffic to your own site)
House Rule 2: Keep your thoughts organized and clear.
Sticking to the subject makes conversational threads easier for others to follow. If you think your comment might deserve its own conversational thread or strays from the topic discussed, please post it as a new question.
Tips for good forum etiquette:
- Organization. Make sure to tag your questions accurately, using the available categories. This will allow users to find your questions more easily.
- Patience. Please have patience while our team investigates your questions. We will work hard to provide you very thorough answers, backed up by research and supportive data, and in some cases, some of your questions may take more time to compile than others.
- Accuracy. When citing sources, please try to be as accurate as possible and cite your sources using links to assist moderators and users in keeping the conversation factual.
- Coherency. When asking questions, please make sure to write in complete sentences and include as much information or detail as possible. Doing so will enable the experts who are answering questions to fully understand the nature of your question and provide the most accurate and detailed response possible.
House Rule 3: Be safe.
Avoid posting personal information, such as your e-mail address, phone number, or any other information that might open you up to identity theft or harassment.
Please remember that GMO Answers is a new site to which we’ll be adding more and more content as we go along. The more questions you ask, the more you post, the richer the site experience will become. We look forward to continuously adding resources, hearing your input and sharing news and research on all degrees of discussion, based on your needs.